Where are we at with COVID-19 Return to Play?
Parents and Players – we hope you are keeping well during the pandemic and able to enjoy some casual baseball in your yard or at a park in the good weather.
The Gordon Head Baseball Board has been reviewing the pages and pages of Return to Play Guidelines from ViaSport, BaseballBC, BC Minor Baseball, GVBA and Saanich. It is a lot to process and of course there have been many changes over the past several months.
Other GVBA associations (Carnarvon, Triangle, Layritz, Lions, Peninsula) are all at different points in determining if they will have Fall Ball and what form it will take.
We are trying to see if Gordon Head can safely hold a Fall Ball season. Remember, we are volunteers; we are parents just like you – not pandemic experts.
For the past several years, Fall Ball has been offered at the 9U to 15U age groups. If we are able to have Fall Ball in 2020, the focus is on safety. There will be many differences from what we are used to…including:
- Every player will need at least one parent assisting at the field for more than half of the sessions (games and practices). Includes new positions such as: Team Safety, Attendance Marshall, Health Screener, Cleaning baseballs and other equipment, Bathroom cleaning, etc.
- Parents will have to sign a volunteer participation form and commit to helping at the field. There will NOT be an opt out option.
- At 9U we may have to require a parent to stay for the session to ensure safety guidelines are followed.
- Dugouts will not be used.
- Bathrooms will need to be cleaned by a parent from the team before and after each session or they cannot be opened.
- We hope to have games vs other GVBA teams but we do not know if there will be any teams to play.
- If the season is cut short for any reason, we may not be able to give full refunds, though will do our best to give pro-rated refunds depending on costs incurred.
- Games for 9U and 11U, if they happen, could be at any GVBA park as Gordon Head as in prior years.
- Games for 13U and 15U, if they happen, could be at any GVBA park as Gordon Head will not be exclusively hosting fall ball for these age groups, including games for 2 non-Gordon Head teams as we have done in prior years.
- And more changes to be determined…because Games, Practices, and Everything is subject to change before and during the season due to COVID.
As Dr. Bonnie reminds us — Be kind, be calm, be safe.
COVID-19 Return to Play Resources specific to sport and baseball
BC Minor Baseball web page with COVID-19 resources:
Baseball BC Return to play:
Via Sport COVID-19: